We know that the application process can appear a little daunting at first glance. So we've put together a few pointers to help put you at ease and showcase what makes you the ideal candidate for a successful future with us.
BE A STAR
Know your CV like the back of your hand. Think through your personal and professional achievements and structure your answers using the STAR technique (detailed below). Also, don't be afraid to give negative examples too, as being able to demonstrate you can learn from both will serve you well.
THE STAR TECHNIQUE
SITUATION / TASK
What was the situation or task? Important to remember, as you'll need to set the scene.
What role did you play? It's not about what 'we' did, it's all about you.
What was the outcome? Let us know how you felt and what you learnt.
Demonstrate your knowledge of the bank through research, including the business area you’d like to work in, and be ready to tell us about the skills and experience you have that make you a good fit.
Visit your local careers service for advice on completing applications forms, preparing for interviews and to practice online tests.
Attend one of our events. In addition to gaining valuable insights, we’ll be on hand to provide you with expert guidance on applying to join us.
STANDOUT APPLICATION FORMS
While the following tips can’t guarantee that you’ll application will be successful, they will certainly point you in the right direction.
- Tailor your application to the role you’re applying for, i.e. never just copy and paste from previous applications.
- Spend quality time on the competency-based questions and clearly demonstrate just how much this opportunity means to you.
- Proofread your application, then proofread it again. Attention to detail is critical in our work, so it’s important to avoid any grammar or punctuation mistakes.
- Include details of any involvement in student organisations or local community initiatives, as skills like teamwork and leadership will help set you apart.
- Be honest, as the last thing you need is to be caught out in an interview, having embellished your language ability or technical skills for example.
- Share your interest in the markets and back it up with any practical or learning experiences you may have gained.
PREPARATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS
You’ve done well to make it to the interview stage, now it’s time to seal the deal. Here’s a few hints and tips to help you do just that.
- Research, research, research. You simply cannot know too much about our business and the sector generally.
- Show us why you want this role positively and passionately throughout. We place a high value on the 'right attitude'.
- Elaborate on any statements you make and support them with interesting examples.
- Don’t try to bluff your way through any unfamiliar topics that come up. Just be honest.
- Interview the interviewer with pre-prepared questions about the role and business.
- Remember, interviews are a two-way process – it’s just as important that you come away feeling good about us, as it is the other way around.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We hope our selection of hints and tips have got you ready to apply. However, if you still have any queries about the process, our selection of FAQs below may have the answers.
We consider graduates from all degree disciplines as long as you can demonstrate excellent academic performance. Numerate and analytical disciplines, such as Engineering, Mathematics, Finance, Business, Economics, Sciences and Computer Science are all ideal. However, we also value other qualities alongside academic achievements, for example: creativity, logical thinking and extra-curricular activities such as sports clubs or societies.
We’re looking for the qualities that will enable you to work effectively in one of our teams – like self-confidence, motivation, strong communication skills and respect for others. Above all, you need to be focused on client service, excited by banking and the markets and comfortable with technology, numbers and analytical thinking.
No – French is not a pre-requisite for working with BNP Paribas. We are an international bank and the international business language is English. Diversity is key to our hiring and we welcome candidates from any culture or background. Additional languages are always an advantage as our client base is global, but you don’t need to be a French speaker to join us.
The selection process is a combination of the following stages, depending on the programme and area of the Bank you apply for, and in which region. Please note not all programmes incorporate all stages:
• Online application – Following submission of your CV and completion of an online application form, you will be asked to take a selection of online tests. The scores you achieve in these will determine whether or not your application progresses through to the next stage.
• CV Screening – Your application will be reviewed by a specialist member of the Early Careers Team and business stakeholders, and you will be notified as to whether you have been selected to partake in one of our assessment centres.
• Virtual Assessment Centre – At one of our virtual assessment centres you will complete a range of exercises highlighting key skills essential to the role you have applied for. These will include but not be limited to; maths & written tests as well as individual and group exercises.
• Business interview – If you are successful during the virtual assessment centre you will be asked to stay for the afternoon session during which you will be interviewed by a member of the business as well as one of the Early Careers team.
If you are required to attend the BNP Paribas offices at any stage of the recruitment process, you can request travel reimbursement up to a certain amount.
You’ll be recruited to a specific office. However, because we have offices all over the world, you may well have the opportunity to work abroad at a later stage. In fact, this is something we encourage – we’re looking for internationally minded people.
Yes. You can find out more about them here
When you apply, you’ll be asked to indicate your preferred role but our application process is also designed to highlight which role or roles would suit you best. Please note you can only apply for 1 graduate role per year, and up to 5 Long Term Intern roles per year – so please think carefully before submitting your applications.
We support applications for candidates requiring a work permit. However, restrictions may apply depending on the region.
If you have received another offer, please call and let us know about it – for us, we believe that you should have the opportunity to consider all offers. What we would ask is that you are transparent with us about where you are in the process and if there’s a deadline on your offer.
To prepare for the online ability tests go to https://assessment.aon.com/en-us/online-assessment/practice-assessments where you’ll find practice tests. Other than practice, no preparation is necessary – other than a good night’s sleep.
If you experience any technical issues whilst submitting your application, please contact the Oleeo Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you experience any technical issues or have any questions relating to the online tests, please contact the Aon Support team at email@example.com
We recruit recent graduates looking for their first full time job. You are eligible should you have been in higher education within the past two years. If this is not the case, you may find our Experienced Hire opportunities more suitable.
If you have any concerns during your recruitment experience with BNP Paribas please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the unprecedented circumstances this year our campus season will be entirely virtual. This includes both university events as well as our recruitment events, such as assessment centres. For many of us, this will be a new concept, so we will be doing our utmost to make sure that your virtual experience is as personable as ever; your safety is our priority.
Many of you are also wondering whether our hiring plans have been affected. I can confirm our programmes will be going ahead as planned and our commitment to Early Careers Programmes has not changed.
If you haven't managed to find the answer here, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at: email@example.com