We know that the application process can appear a little daunting at first glance. So we've put together a few pointers to help put you at ease and showcase what makes you the ideal candidate for a successful future with us.
BE A STAR
Know your CV like the back of your hand. Think through your personal and professional achievements and structure your answers using the STAR technique (detailed below). Also, don't be afraid to give negative examples too, as being able to demonstrate you can learn from both will serve you well.
THE STAR TECHNIQUE
SITUATION / TASK
What was the situation or task? Important to remember, as you'll need to set the scene.
What role did you play? It's not about what 'we' did, it's all about you.
What was the outcome? Let us know how you felt and what you learnt.
Demonstrate your knowledge of the bank through research, including the business area you’d like to work in, and be ready to tell us about the skills and experience you have that make you a good fit.
Visit your local careers service for advice on completing applications forms, preparing for interviews and to practice online tests.
Attend one of our events. In addition to gaining valuable insights, we’ll be on hand to provide you with expert guidance on applying to join us.
STANDOUT APPLICATION FORMS
While the following tips can’t guarantee that you’ll application will be successful, they will certainly point you in the right direction.
- Tailor your application to the role you’re applying for, i.e. never just copy and paste from previous applications.
- Spend quality time on the competency-based questions and clearly demonstrate just how much this opportunity means to you.
- Proofread your application, then proofread it again. Attention to detail is critical in our work, so it’s important to avoid any grammar or punctuation mistakes.
- Include details of any involvement in student organisations or local community initiatives, as skills like teamwork and leadership will help set you apart.
- Be honest, as the last thing you need is to be caught out in an interview, having embellished your language ability or technical skills for example.
- Share your interest in the markets and back it up with any practical or learning experiences you may have gained.
PREPARATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS
You’ve done well to make it to the interview stage, now it’s time to seal the deal. Here’s a few hints and tips to help you do just that.
- Research, research, research. You simply cannot know too much about our business and the sector generally.
- Show us why you want this role positively and passionately throughout. We place a high value on the 'right attitude'.
- Elaborate on any statements you make and support them with interesting examples.
- Don’t try to bluff your way through any unfamiliar topics that come up. Just be honest.
- Interview the interviewer with pre-prepared questions about the role and business.
- Remember, interviews are a two-way process – it’s just as important that you come away feeling good about us, as it is the other way around.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We hope our selection of hints and tips have got you ready to apply. However, if you still have any queries about the process, our selection of FAQs below may have the answers.
If not, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at: email@example.com
We consider graduates from all degree disciplines as long as you can demonstrate excellent academic performance. Numerate and analytical disciplines, such as Engineering, Mathematics, Finance, Business, Economics, Sciences and Computer Science are all ideal. However, we also value other qualities alongside academic achievements, for example: creativity, logical thinking and extra-curricular activities such as sports clubs or societies.
We’re looking for the qualities that will enable you to work effectively in one of our teams – like self-confidence, motivation, strong communication skills and respect for others. Above all, you need to be focused on client service, excited by banking and the markets and comfortable with technology, numbers and analytical thinking.
We will consider your application if you take a gap year. However, please make sure you check our application closing dates carefully and think about whether you’d be available for any assessment centres or interviews.
No – French is not a pre-requisite. We are an international bank and the international business language is English. However, additional languages are always an advantage.
Most people take approximately 60 minutes to complete the online application form; however you can save your application at any stage and log in to return at any time.
The selection process is a combination of the following stages, depending on the programme, the area and region of the bank you apply for:
• Online application
• Online tests
• Video interview
• Business interview or assessment centres
Travel costs are reimbursed up to a certain amount. Details regarding travel reimbursements will be included in the information sent to you at the second stage of your application.
You’ll be recruited to a specific office. However, because we have offices all over the world, you may well have the opportunity to work abroad at a later stage. In fact, this is something we encourage – we’re looking for internationally minded people.
Yes. You can find out more about them here
When you apply, you’ll be asked to indicate your preferred role but our application process is also designed to highlight which role or roles would suit you best. If your first choice of role is no longer available, we will consider you for other roles that fit your profile. Together with our senior and experienced business managers we will help you identify the best fit for your skills and ambitions.
We support applications for candidates requiring a work permit. However, restrictions may apply depending on the region.
We believe that you should have the opportunity to consider all offers. If you have an ‘exploding’ offer from another company and you are waiting to hear from us, please call and let us know. We will do everything we can to speed up the process to help you make an informed decision.
To prepare for the online ability tests go to http://getstarted.cut-e.com where you’ll find practice tests. Other than practice, no preparation is necessary – other than a good night’s sleep.
If you meet our required standard, you will be invited to attend a first interview or an assessment centre. If you’re unsuccessful, we’ll notify you by email shortly afterwards.
If you experience any problems whilst applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We recruit recent graduates looking for their first full time job. If you have more than 12 months’ working experience you may be more suitable for one of our experienced hire roles.
If you have any concerns during your recruitment experience with BNP Paribas please contact email@example.com.